ankahee

there is a bitterness in the scent
swirling over your dark,
strong brew, while you look at me
with those endlessly melancholic
eyes, searching my face for
signs that will give way
what goes on in the equally
endless depths of my existence.

"a penny for your thoughts?"

my lips curl upwards on
their own - well before i can
halt their misbehaviour - and
i can feel the tips of my ears turn
pink, for nobody really cares
about what i think (that's what
i thought) and yet here you are,
offering me a penny in exchange
for being let in on the quiet chaos
i guard so carefully.

so i try to swallow the
resolute hesitance that claws into
my inhibitions, and choke out,
my voice somewhere halfway between
a shiver and a shudder.

"just...you know, the weather."

i can feel your sigh kiss my cheek
every so lightly, and there is a need
in your itchy palms to pull me
out of my walls, there is an
urgency in your nimble fingers
to touch the world my
thoughts belong to.
but not today.
for today, the penny is
a little too precious.


Comments

  1. wow!! beautiful. I can actually visualise your poem so beautifully worded and framed... !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

...To New Endings..

The Child In You

Shoe Size 12