The Art of Making Mistakes



“When you find your path, you must not be afraid. You need to have sufficient courage to make mistakes. Disappointment, defeat, and despair are the tools God uses to show us the way.”
― Paulo Coelho, Brida
Another eventful year coming to an end… And since this year, the new trend is ‘looking back’ I thought I would reflect on these wonderful opportunities that we all encountered on several occasions throughout the year: Our mistakes, and those chances that we didn’t take.
A lot of times, we forego certain opportunities just because we live in fear that they won’t work out. We are scared because there is a chance of us being wrong. And this is because we live with the notion that it is wrong to even be wrong.
However, what we fail to see, is that every mistake is a chance to learn. Every time we refrain from asking our teacher a question when we didn’t really get what they said, because we feel that it could be looked at as a silly question, we miss that chance. Every time we abstain from dancing with a crowd for the fear of looking funny, we miss that chance. Every time we hold back from asking our parents for permission for that party we really wanted to attend, just because they’d scold us for it, we miss that chance. Every time we didn’t do something because we were afraid that we’d be wrong, we missed a chance to learn something new.  Moreover, we are left with a nagging “what if”, or guilt at the pit of our stomach, either ways.
Therefore, instead of looking back at my year and regretting all the things that didn’t quite go right, I am going to look back and be proud of all the mistakes I’ve dared to make. Because of them, I know so much more about a much vaster area of topics. I applied to a college, and didn’t get in, and learned where I needed to better myself. I hurt a friend, only to learn how to apologize, where to limit my words and then a host of new things about her. I messed up on a test, to realize how I really needed to study and not waste my time. I overused my phone, only to discern addiction from utility. I disobeyed my parents, only to realize that they’re right sometimes, and it is necessary to listen to them. Yes, it did make me feel guilty, as it should, but somehow, somewhere, it has made me a better person. I read an apt quote by Dominic Riccitello, saying, “And I went into the new year loving myself a little less, but a little more where it actually mattered.”
There are loopholes to making mistakes, too. We could simply end up repeating them (I did, a lot of times), or they could simply end up making us feel bad instead of something positive. So here’s a little tip: I would like us to take this New Year as a means to start afresh, and to look at our mistakes from a new perspective, so that we understand better where it is that we need to make our amends. Let’s make our messes, and learn how to clean up, too. And let’s learn to appreciate imperfections, too, so that we can push ourselves to be better people.
I would like to end my write-up with a quote by a wonderful author, Neil Gaiman, who said:
 “I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.
Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something.
So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.
Whatever it is you're scared of doing… Do it.
               Make your mistakes, next year and forever.”
So here’s to 2015- another beautiful mess and another opportunity well taken. 

P.S.: As 'Ankahee' turns two, I'd like to thank everybody for their overwhelming support and encouragement. Wishing you all a happy new year!

Comments

  1. So tru.. if you never failed that means you never tried. Thats the biggest regret that one would live with!! Inspite of knowing everything sometimes such reads take us through an insight that helps us to find our own answers !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

...To New Endings..

The Child In You

Shoe Size 12